Saturday, October 28, 2006

Long Time Gone; Time to Remember

Here it is many months later and I'm just getting up the energy to post again. This blogging business isn't as easy as it seems. In February I had written up the post about uncle Wally and was attempting to load photos of Mother's birthday party only to fail utterly. I think part of my problem is the anemic machine I'm using combined with a dial-up connection. I cancelled the post and ignored the blog ever since then.

However, the month of October has turned my thoughts back to this blog. In pagan and Christian tradition, the end of the month was a time to acknowledge the passing of lives of loved ones...the origin of Hallowe'en, of course, and the moment the calendar page turns to October, images of Hallowe'en are everywhere, reminding us of the nearly universal attention paid to death and loss. Twenty years ago this month the Reed family lost its dad, Alex. It hardly seems credible, twenty years. The little Reed family world lost one of its foundations and for me, at least, it was never as bright again. Next month is the fourth anniversary of the death of son and brother, Dan, another bright light whose loss has dimmed our world.

No comments: